Whether served as a main course, starter or side, you can't go wrong with this recipe for Grilled Endive And Romaine Salad from chef, author, and the mind behind the educational and inspiring food blog The Culinary Exchange, Matthew Robinson.
GRILLED ENDIVE AND ROMAINE SALAD
Prep Time:15 Min Cook Time:10 Min Total Time:25 Min Serves 4
4 white or red endive
4 baby romaine/gem lettuces
1/4 lb broccoli rabe
Fresh parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper
1. Clean the endive and baby romaine removing any outer leaves that are
2. Trim the ends of the endive and lettuces just enough to remove the rough
end, but not enough to separate all the leaves.
3. Cut the endive and lettuces in half longways.
4. Wash the broccoli rabe.
5. Place the endive, lettuce, and broccoli rabe in a large bowl or plastic
Drizzle with enough olive oil to lightly coat. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Place the oiled endive and lettuce cut side down on a hot grill. Place
broccoli rabe on the grill going against the grain of the grill grate to
the chance of the broccoli rabe falling into the flames.
7. When the vegetables are just starting to soften and get tender, flip
continue to cook until tender but with some crispness remaining. A little
charring is fine, but they are not meant to be mushy.
8. Remove the vegetables from the grill to a platter and let cool. When
cut the endive and lettuce halves into thirds or quarters. Cut the broccoli
rabe into bite size pieces.
9. Toss them all together in a large serving bowl.
10. Cut the lemon in half and drizzle with a little fresh lemon juice to
being careful not to allow any seeds in the salad. Toss well.
11. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
12. Grate parmesan cheese over the vegetables to taste.
13. Serve at room temperature or cold.