Long gone are the days when grilling was limited to a few burgers and hot dogs on holiday weekends. In fact, there is very little that can't be done on the grill, as long as you are willing to think outside of the box as with this recipe for grilled new potato salad with bacon and onions from Weber's Big Book of Burgers by BBQ master Jamie Purviance.
NEW POTATO SALAD WITH BACON AND ONIONS
PREP time: 20 minutes
grilling time: 30-37 minutes
standing time: 1 hour (optional)
Extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
2½ pounds new potatoes, about 1½ inches in diameter, each cut in half
8 ounces thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/4-inch dice
2 medium sweet onions, each cut crosswise into ½-inch slices
6 scallions (white part only), thinly sliced
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
3 tablespoons chicken broth or water
1. Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat (350° to 450°F).
2. In a large bowl whisk 2 tablespoons oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Add the potato halves and toss to coat.
3. Grill the potatoes over direct medium heat, with the lid closed, until golden brown and tender, 20 to 25 minutes, turning occasionally. When cool enough to handle, cut each potato half into two pieces and place in a large bowl. Cover and set aside at room temperature.
4. In a skillet over medium heat, fry the bacon until crisp, 10 to 12 minutes, turning occasionally. With a slotted spoon transfer the bacon to the bowl of potatoes; reserve the bacon fat.
5. Brush the onion slices on both sides with some of the reserved bacon fat and season with salt and pepper. Grill the onion slices over direct medium heat, with the lid closed, until lightly browned and tender, 10 to 12 minutes, turning and basting with the reserved bacon fat once. Cut each onion slice into quarters. Add to the potatoes along with the scallions, parsley, and thyme.
6. Combine the vinegar, broth, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Slowly whisk in ⅓ cup oil. Pour the dressing over the potatoes and toss gently. Serve; or, to fully incorporate the flavors, cover and let stand at room temperature for about 1 hour before serving.
©2014 Weber-Stephen Products LLC. Recipe from "Weber’s Big Book of Burgers™ by Jamie Purviance. Used with permission.