Recently I traveled to Kansas City for the 37th Annual American Royal World Series of Barbecue during which I was on hand as six amateur and professional cooks faced off in the Smithfield Hog Wild Throwdown. During the intense, single elimination contest, these individuals created truly amazing dishes in hopes of walking away with a brand new Ford F-150 and $2,000 cash.
In the end, the contest came down to two competitors -- Chera Pitt-Little from Austin, TX (amateur category) and Suzanne Clark of Phoenix, AZ -- going head-to-head in a ground pork, bacon, egg, and cheese recipe battle. After much deliberation by judges Tuffy Stone, Moe Cason, and Kevin Kolman, Suzanne walked away as Hog Wild Throwdown Champion.
Want to be champion of your next backyard cookout? Here's Suzanne's winning recipe to help get it done!
CARAMELIZED ONION AND BACON STUFFED BURGER WITH CHIPOTLE HOLLANDAISE SAUCE
6 strips of Smithfield Bacon, diced
1 pound of Smithfield Premium Ground Pork
½ cup of finely diced red bell pepper
½ cup of finely diced onion
2-3 cloves of crushed garlic
1/8 cup of steak sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
4 slices of smoked Gouda cheese
¼ cup of diced onions
2 tablespoons of butter
2 teaspoons of crushed garlic
¾ cup of balsamic vinegar
¼ cup of brown sugar
1 teaspoon of chipotle powder
2 tablespoons of adobo sauce (from canned chipotles)
Chipotle Hollandaise Sauce
5 eggs yolks
2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
6 tablespoons of butter
1 chipotle, diced
Salt to taste
4 sesame seed buns
2 tablespoons of salted butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
2 cups of fresh arugula
1. Prepare grill, bring temp to 450 degrees. Add hickory or apple wood chips if desired.
2. Place onions and bacon in a small frying pan and place on grill. Cook until bacon is
crispy and onions are caramelized let cool.
3. In another small fry pan, add butter and onions. Cook until onions are softened. Add
balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, chipotle powder and adobo sauce. Cook until
sauce is thick and syrupy.
4. In a mixing bowl, combine ground pork, red bell pepper, onion, garlic and steak
sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Divide meat into 8 patties. Top four patties with
the caramelized onions and bacon mixture. Add a slice of cheese to each. Top with
the remaining four patties, pressing down to seal the edges.
5. Place patties on the grill. Grill until burgers are cooked through and no pink
remains, about 4 minutes each side. Remove and let rest for at least 4 minutes
6. While burgers are grilling, it is time to make your sauce. Add egg yolks, lime juice
and chipotle to a small sauce pan. Whisk together until well combined. Place over
medium low heat whisking constantly, slowly add in butter. Cook until thick and
creamy. Consistency should be similar to a thick mayonnaise. Season with salt and
7. To prepare buns, brush with butter and sprinkle with garlic powder. Toast buns on
grill for about 1 minute or until grill marks appear.
8. To assemble, spread a generous amount of Chipotle Hollandaise sauce on bottom
bun. Add arugula, the Caramelized Onion and Bacon Stuffed Burger, followed by the